All my chicken waste and wood chips currently go straight into the compost bin. Could anyone please tell me that if my chickens have any parasites or worms, will this be harmful? Once fully composted the soil will go onto my vegetable planters and I wondered if anything could be passed on this way.
Chicken waste and litter make great compost! Remember that any parasites your chickens pick up came from their environment, so the parasites they might have can come from anywhere in your yard including where you already grow veggies.
Luckily the waste and litter from chickens usually makes compost cook very hot. Turn your compost often to keep it cooking hot until the materiel is well broken down. If your compost is heating up to steaming temps then most parasites and eggs will be killed. Once you have used your finished compost and have nice home grown organic veggies to eat refrain from eating them right from the garden. Take them inside and wash them thoroughly. For root vegetables scrub them with a brush. This will remove anything you don't want to be eating. Now you have clean ready to eat home grown veggies. Yum!
Thank you, that puts my mind at rest. Should I keep their waste out of the compost if they are ever chemically treated?
The heat from the composting materiel should break down any chemicals that the chickens may have excreted, but you can just exclude the waste if you don't feel comfortable using it. How long to wait? As long as the medication's directions say until safe to eat the eggs.
I have just read somewhere that if I treat my chickens with Praziquantrel (tapeworm meds) the egg withdrawal is 45 days. Other research indicates 7 - 14 days, does anyone know? 45 days seems a bit extreme.
there seems to be no outright parasites transmissible from chicken poop to humans. Salmonella, and maybe shigella, could be transmitted via chicken droppings, but these are bacteria-- they are not animals.
chicken poop on low-lying vegies could pose a considerable risk for typhoid, especially if eaten uncooked.
Thank you for all your advice.
Silvia is correct, the heat from the composting process should kill any micro organisms. Make sure you keep the compost moist and turn it often. Also, a 3 ft deep pile is needed to get the temps where they need to be, 140 - 165 f. I recommend a compost thermometer to monitor your temperatures.