Maricopa County Food Systems Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County

Maricopa County Food Systems Coalition Forum is a social network

Where do you find them?  

Can they be grown in a large pot to keep it from spreading?

Full sun?

Views: 4628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm surprised too. I bought a Sherwood & Li from him last Dec. I also have small GA866, GI-1183, Sihong, & Shanxi Li from xotcfruit in Ca.

All of mine will be planted in Sunizona.

I'm curious to see how your Sihong does.  Please keep us informed.

It was the first one out of Dormancy.

These trees CANNOT be grown in a container. They have extensive root systems and need to be in the ground.

Clay is selling some. The variety is unknown:

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/bareroot-jujube-trees

I ended up going with a contorted from Baker - just looks so cool! I'm going to put a light on it and make it art and edible. Mmmmm

Hi, had been off the site for awhile. I have several of these trees in Yarnell. They are pretty water hardy up there, withstand the frost and snow, held up with the hot summer. I let the fruit dry, then pit them and used them in baking like raisins. I am going to try to transplant some in Phoenix. I did not know they would grow here.. seems like it might be too hot.

They do very well here, but they may be hard to transplant after a few years in the ground due to their tap root.  In fact, they grow so rapidly here that it's advisable simply to buy a new tree than to attempt to transplant one.

From FL: Most Chinese jujube cultivars in the U.S. are grafted or budded onto a thorny rootstock which produces many suckers from the roots. Reports from the Soviet Union indicate that many jujube cultivars root readily by softwood cuttings. Root suckers can be an annoyance with grafted trees and cuttings may be preferable. Little is known, however, about the relative performance of rooted and grafted jujubes.  Jujubes also can be propagated from seed if the flowers have been cross pollinated. Seeds from self-pollinations are usually inviable. Jujubes do not come true from seed.

http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/chinesejujube201...

Is there anywhere these things won't grow? I accidently tore off the tap root removing a Li from it's 15 gallon pot while transplanting it on my property. It never missed a beat growing much stronger than it did in the pot. I saw it last weekend & it looked great after not being watered for 2 months. It hadn't been watered for 2 months prior to that when I transplanted and injured it. 

it will not grow in the true tropics, but it will grow almost anywhere in continental usa. It will probably even survive  michigan or southern canada, but very unlikely to bear fruit due to the longer winters there, and cool short summers.

crfg of san diego has placed it  in the same league as cacti when it comes to  heat resistance and tolerance to drought, and even superior to several  cacti: 

http://crfgsandiego.org/Presentations/Drought%20Tolerant%20Fruiting...

it is just dripping with  superlatives and sure bears repeating:

-arguably the most heat- and drought-tolerant fruiting species that is NOT a cactus.

- despite its superior resistance to  drought, it is also quite tolerant of waterlogging, as mentioned by powell's reference above---and by many texans and australians who've tried growing fruit trees on gumbo clay.

-it will bear fruit in the widest of pH ranges, and tolerates the most salty of  soils just as well.

-one of the longest-lived fruit bearing  trees, could  bear fruit for centuries!

-among fruits, has the highest amounts of vitamin c,  weight for weight

-approaches or even exceeds  blueberries in antioxidant activity,  per australian experts(perhaps due to its high levels of vit c)

-one of the toughest and strongest of  lumbers coming from a true fruit tree(from personal experience--ebony is harder, but is more brittle)

- some of the longest fruiting periods among temperate fruit trees, in las vegas, you could be picking ripe fruits beginning late june,   to early november--from the same tree!

-like palm dates, the jujube is one of the few fruits which resist rotting. When ripe it will self-preserve simply by drying up at room air, with no need for a dessicator, and not requiring of preservatives.

here's a picture of the most venerable specimen in  usa :http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=e8a677d2-...

I have been curious about the flavor and I bought some in the Asian market on 43 Ave and Union Hills; I must say that I wasn’t too impressed with its flavor, I don’t know what kind they were, but for those of you who grow them in your garden, I will interested in buying some so I can have a taste of a another kind before I make up my mind about growing my own tree, so if you any for sale please contact me and I am willing to drive up to 35 miles, I live of 35th ave and Dunlap in Phoenix. Thanks!

RSS

© 2017   Created by MCFSC Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service