Maricopa County Food Systems Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County

Maricopa County Food Systems Coalition Forum is a social network

This following was written by our dear friends at the Rare Fruit Growers:

Our well-loved friend and longtime member, Powell "Eddie" Gammill, passed away unexpectedly on May 24, 2016. He is survived and missed by his brother Pat Gammill, sister Hazel Gammill Lundin (John), nieces Rebecca and Jennifer, great niece Scarlett, and great nephew Ronin. 

Powell will be so greatly missed and he will always be remembered as a generous friend and active member of our club (as well as many other organizations). Without fail, quick to volunteer and give a boost to our plant sales by sharing his encyclopedic knowledge and enthusiasm with visitors and fellow members, or to share with us all as a presenter prepared to download volumes of information to an eager audience.

Powell's great passion for growing and researching touched so many, across groups of friends, organizations, and online forums. His fingerprint on countless groups -- whether he posted as Powell, or "Facist Nation" -- pops up and educates us everywhere. All of us who crossed paths with him, will be forever enriched by his friendship, and the vast knowledge that he was always quick and glad to share at the drop of a hat.

His love of this fruit-growing community was also well-known to his family who asked that we pass on that special remembrance and thanks to all his friends. They are so touched by the sheer number of friends he had out there, let alone how deeply regarded he was.

Powell recently shared with us a great tagline for our club, that we will cherish and use in his honor:

"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is." - H. Jackson Brown

Two memorial events have now been set for this Sunday, June 5th.

The Gammill and Lundin families would like to welcome all to join them for the memorial service, as well as a separate gathering following that to celebrate his life and share stories and memories.

• The memorial service will begin at 11:00am, Sunday, June 5th, 2016, at Messinger Mortuary 7601 E. Indian School Rd, Scottsdale.

• Following that, at 12:30pm, a gathering will be held at the Arizona Country Club to raise a toast and share our wonderful memories of Powell. 5668 E Orange Blossom Ln, Phoenix, AZ 85018. The family would like to share Powell's passion for fruit-growing including fruit now being picked from his trees, and friends are encouraged to also bring fruit from their yards to add to this celebration.

His family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations can be sent to:

AZRFG
PO Box 633
Scottsdale AZ 85252

Or through PayPal.com and directed to PowellGammillMemorial@azrfg.org

From his family:

Powell was born August 23, 1956 in Phoenix, Arizona. He attended Arcadia High School, class of 1974.

Powell was a NAU graduate with a bachelors and master’s degree of science with a focus in microbiology. Powell held many positions for the state of Arizona such as molecular biologist, laboratory manager, clinical virologist, and microbiologist. Powell later joined the Arizona Rare Fruit Growers Club (AZRFG). This is where he found his passion for gardening eventually becoming a Maricopa County Master Gardener.

Powell was a patriot who disillusioned with the Republican Party in the early 1990s, left and became an avid Libertarian. He was a member of the Western Libertarian Party and ran for U.S. Representative in District #2. Powell was one of the founders of Freedom’s Phoenix and was their senior editor for over ten years. Powell held a strong belief in our Constitution and of the Second Amendment. Powell was a life time member of the NRA and an avid marksman.

Powell’s Philosophy: “Freedom good! Government bad, bad, bad. I will not initiate force, or fraud against any individual. I will resist those who do when prudent with all means at my disposal. I will approach all individuals with the idea of interacting with them through mutually agreed upon conditions. What other political or personal philosophy do you need? And wouldn’t the world be a more peaceful place if everyone learned to mind their own business?”

We will always remember Powell as a kind and loving soul with a great sense of humor.

Powell - we miss you, man.

Views: 99

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only learned of Powell's passing on the 6th.  I am so stunned and sadden by the loss of Powell form our groups and our world.

You will be missed Powell.

{{hugs}} to all of his friends and family

Catherine, The Herb Lady

RSS

© 2017   Created by MCFSC Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service