Maricopa County Food Systems Coalition Forum

to support and grow a food system in Maricopa County

Maricopa County Food Systems Coalition Forum is a social network

I'm going to start another thread, this time on peaches (and other fruit)

If you had to choose 4 peach trees, which would you choose? I’ve never planted a peach tree before, however I dearly love to eat them. What 4 peach trees would you plant if you had to choose—keeping in mind that you don’t want them to all ripen at the same time.

I have no idea how each variety tastes and only know that what they have at the grocery store is sometimes good and often not.

I’m also going to plant...

Beauty Plum  (May/June) The skin is supposed to be more tender than Santa Rosa

Meiwa Kumquat (Oct-Mar)  I’ve never eaten one but it sounds good

Strawberry Guava (spring & fall) I’ve never eaten one of these either but read that they are sweet and not as frost tender as most Guavas

Spice Zee Nectaplum (July/Aug) If I can find one and they actually will grow here

Surinam Cherry (spring and sometimes fall)

Cherry of the Rio Grande (Apr-June) 4 trees — they are evergreen, small pretty trees and the fruit is supposed to taste very similar to a real cherry

Pomegranate—not sure which variety

Anna and Dorsett Golden Apples

Black Mission Fig

Rosborough Blackberries (Apr-May) I think 3 should feed our family

What fruit did you plant? I'd love to hear what you have that you love and also what you wish you hadn't planted. Inquiring minds want to know!

Views: 9488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like freestones and this should cover a broad season:

Eva's Pride
Babcock
Mid-Pride
August Pride

Keep in mind the best time to plant trees is after the last frost (late Jan.) to mid-March.  You can plant citrus and Tropical trees (including figs and I think plums) year round, but if you plant in the summer you need to water heavily a lot and have 6" mulch.  Also, tropicals are very sensitive to freezing.  If you plant anything else don't expect it to grow until Oct when the temps finally get down to 85 degrees in the day and it's survivability is at greater risk. 

Spice Zee Nectaplum try Bakers.  Ask Greg Peterson, I think he planted one.

I didn't think that peaches were frost sensitive unless they were already blossoming. I was thinking about planting in Oct/Nov, is that a bad time for peaches?

Peaches, plums, figs, and pomegranates are all deciduous.  While dormant, they're very cold tolerant.  Figs and pomegranates are resistant to damage to about 15 degrees; plums and peaches to around 10 degrees.

I would avoid true tropical fruit trees, like mangoes, guavas, and starfruit unless you're willing to put in the extra effort to protect these plants from sub 30 degree temps. 

October is a perfectly good time to plant peaches.  Preferably mid October.

Great! I was hoping they could do a little settling in before it got cold, that way they would have a head start in the spring.

I've decided that I'm not going to plant true tropicals. You made a very good point about evaluating the amount of effort you want to put into protecting them. I think that protecting our garden and citrus against heavy freezes will keep us busy enough.

Thanks (again), Andrew.

Most citrus is pretty frost tolerant (you'll get some bit leaves or blackened peripheral branchlets, but that's it).  They require little, if any, protection here.  The exception are limes and maybe, depending on where they're located, lemons.  Even then, I wouldn't even consider covering unless the temp was going to be less than 25 outside and the trees were young.

My friend in Tempe has 6-8 citrus trees. Last winter when it got down to 23 degrees, she would have lost all the fruit on the tree if they had frozen. She put the sprinklers on in the orchard every night it froze. When it was over she had several inches of ice on the ground and pillars of ice from branches to the ground but she didn't lose a single orange that had water hitting it. She lost a couple of branches from the weight of the ice but that was it.

We don't really want to do the water thing so I'll cover when we get a bad freeze. I was looking back at an email from last winter and it got down to 18 degrees out here!  I think the trees would probably be okay if they weren't small but I wouldn't want to lose the crop. It would make me cry. 

Last year our first bad freeze was in November!  It was such a strange winter.  We were grateful that we didn't have a whole yard full of small plants to cover but it really made us think about what we would do to prepare for the next winter when we would have trees.

Eva's Pride peaches are the most delicious peaches for eating straight from the tree.  But you have to thin them pretty hard after fruitset in order to get peaches of any normal size.

Hi. Since this is about peach trees does anyone know why my peaches aren't growing? I got flowers and then fruit started to grow but the fruit has just stopped maturing. There are hard nubby things all over the tree that should have matured into fruit. Anyone know what could have happened?

Thanks,

Jessie

RSS

© 2017   Created by MCFSC Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service