Valley Permaculture Alliance is a social network

I need some info on making or buying adobe mortar. I making some raised beds out of river rock, and I would love to use adobe as a binder, instead of conventional mortar. I just don't know how to tell if I have enough clay in my soil. Thanks for any help. 

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Old Pueblo Adobe sells adobe mortar The problem with mud based mortar would be moisture and shrinkage causing the joints to weaken and fail.

More info here ==> Mud as Mortar

I was also thinking about putting a percentage of portland cement to give it the extra strength. Like 10% or so. Thanks guys for the Ideas.

hi Kenny:

one thing to look into is the need for the 'mortar' and the 'masonry' (stone in this case) to be of a 'similar substance' , or to exhibit similar physical characteristics when subjected to weathering proccesses ... for example: earthen based mortar should be used with earthen based masonry (adobe) ... this 'similar substance', general rule is critical in regards to the 2 materials exhibiting similar: expansion / contraction rates, moisture absorption / dissapation rates, freeze / thaw rates ... etc ... gerry's observation is right on ...

© 2015   Created by VPA Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service